Age Of Glory

Posted by : foongpc | Wednesday, December 10, 2008 | Published in

ADVERTISEMENT


I love playing the piano. I can play for hours and hours without feeling bored!

Recently, a friend of mine heard me play this theme song from the ntv7 local Chinese drama series called Age Of Glory or Qíng Qiān Nán Yuàn. He wanted to play it too and asked me to pass him the piano score. Unfortunately, I did not have the score because I played it by ear.

In case you do not know what show this is, and how the theme song sounds like, watch this YouTube video.



I enjoyed watching this show and tried to catch it when it was shown on ntv7 every night from Monday to Thursday a few months back. Basically the story is about the lives of Malaysian Chinese during the post war era of the 60's and especially revolved around three ladies played by Debbie Goh, Danielle Dai and Aenie Wong.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the fine acting skills of these three actresses, particularly Debbie Goh and Danielle Dai, whom I considered to be a very natural actress. I have not heard of them before so I was really blown off by their good looks and superb acting skills. Looks like Malaysia can produce good actors and actresses too and give the Singaporeans and Hongkies a run for their money.


Debbie Goh who is also Miss Malaysia Chinese International 1998 plays showgirl Rose, based loosely on the legendary cabaret dancer Rose Chan.

Danielle Dai who plays Shu Juan is a very natural actress IMHO


Melvin Sia and Aenie Wong in a scene from Age of Glory

The show was so popular among Malaysian TV viewers that it set the record for the highest ratings ever for a local Chinese drama series. Perhaps one of the main attractions of the show is the nostalgic 60's feel. The show creator even went to the extent of painstakingly constructing a full scale replica of BB Park, the famous entertainment centre in olden days KL complete with carnival, cabaret, theatres, games stalls and dance halls. For your information, the old BB Park was located at the site where Sungei Wang Plaza presently sits.

The series also showcased many popular songs from the 60's, with all the songs given new arrangements to suit the show. In fact, I found that I enjoyed listening to all those old songs while watching the show.

However, the song I like best is the opening theme song, specially written for the show. It's called Full Circle or Yuán Què and is sung by newcomer Cheryl Lee, who also happens to be the co-host of 8tv's popular singing competition, Project Superstar.

I liked it so much I started to play it by ear on my piano. Would you like to hear it?

Ok, here it is. Please excuse me if you hear some wrong notes and blunders as I'm not perfect.



Well, how is it? Do let me know!

My friend whom I said earlier wanted to play this song pleaded with me to write out the notes for this song. Oh, so much hard work to write it out! I did not have the time, so I just scribbled some notes out. Look at the mess I wrote!



I did not even bother to put in some of the left hand parts! I hope my friend knows how to improvise the left hand part by himself! But with the way I scribbled, I am not too sure if he can even read what I wrote! LOL!

Even though I could play a song I hear by ear, I am not that talented to get everything correct. Well, if I can hit at least 80% accuracy, I am quite satisfied. I just hope my chords are correct!

Meantime, if anyone reading this have a copy of the original score, please, please pass me a copy, will you?

(46) Comments

  1. Anonymous

    I think you are talented to be able to play by ear...hehhe you are just being modest ;)

    I can't imagine what's it like back in the old days of BB Park..must be glorious.

    December 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM
  2. TZ said...

    I learnt to play piano since primary one... lots of people very surprise to know that i played piano. Maybe i don't look like one. So Sad! Anyway, i have not been playing piano for maybe 10 years :p

    December 10, 2008 at 9:49 AM
  3. twosuperheroes said...

    OMG...you play by ear? Such talent!

    December 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM
  4. day-dreamer said...

    Wah, you can play by ear... geng! *applause*

    December 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM
  5. Anonymous

    my late father used to work as a musician at BB Park. I think BB Park is the present BB Plaza and not Sg wang, if i remember correctly. I was very young then. must catch the show but dont like soap opera. cheers

    December 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM
  6. Anonymous

    I know the drama. NTV 7 broad casted the show twice. Now I'm afraid with the drama already.

    December 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM
  7. Angie Tan said...

    Wow.. You can play by ear... That is so cool.

    I think I forgot most of my 11yrs of piano studies... :-)

    December 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM
  8. Anonymous

    Wah! U're so talented...can sing, can play piano!!! I remember I brought some students for a speech contest at the RTM auditorium here and one of them (Grade 8) went and played on the baby grand there, One guy asked him, "Do you play by ear?" And the boy replied, "No, I play by hand!!" Eyew...I didn't know where to hide! Hahahahahahaha!

    December 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM
  9. HappySurfer said...

    Cool! You are very talented, Foong.

    I was told BB Park is now where Low Yat Plaza is.

    December 10, 2008 at 2:07 PM
  10. lina said...

    very talented. Envy you so much. :D

    I wish I can play a musical instrument, but I think I' tone deaf. LOL

    December 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM
  11. Johnny Ong said...

    i think i still can manage playing the piano albeit with the right hand only ..... it will take a while for me to get the hang of using the two hands again .... thats like more than a decade

    December 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM
  12. Monica said...

    I was practically glued to the TV for this drama series! :-D & I love the theme song..

    December 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM
  13. Faisal Admar said...

    i saw in the ads but haven't got time to watch it yet. in fact, i am not really into tv :)

    but from the ads i can tell its a good drama!

    December 11, 2008 at 12:40 AM
  14. foongpc said...

    my bug life, you really think so? Thanks! Yeah, it would be nice if we have a time machine and be able to step back in time to experience those olden glorious days : )

    tz, you sure don't look like one! Haha! So can you still play the piano now that you haven't touch it for 10 years?

    twosuperheroes, thanks! : )

    December 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM
  15. foongpc said...

    day-dreamer, thanks! : )

    anonymous, wow! Your father was a musician at BB Park? If not mistaken, you can still watch the show online on ntv7 website.

    hyperX, you mean you watched the show twice? Actually, I did too, but only those episodes which I missed the first time around : )

    December 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM
  16. foongpc said...

    angie tan, you learnt piano for 11 years already and you forgotten how to play? That's such a waste! But it's never too late to learn again : )

    suituapui, thanks! Actually can play piano better than I can sing. My singing sucks! Haha! Your student didn't know the meaning of play by ear. LOL!

    happysurfer, thanks! Now I really don't know where BB Park was actually situated. I read it was at the current Sg Wang Plaza, but anonymous said it's at BB Plaza, and now you tell me it's at Low Yat. Maybe BB Park was very huge and it could be at all these 3 places!

    December 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM
  17. foongpc said...

    lina, thanks! No need to envy me, I'm sure you have lots of other talents. I only have this talent so I might as well enjoy it, yes? : )

    johnny ong, oh you have played the piano before? Yeah, just need some practice and you'll be able to play both hands soon! : )

    monica, very nice show, isn't it? Yeah, very nice theme song! : )

    faisal admar, wah so good ah you, just look at the ads you know it's a good drama! : )

    December 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM
  18. Lisa said...

    wow you're a talented person who can write out a song , i mean the song notes...

    amazing !

    December 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM
  19. levian said...

    it'll difficult to find the piano score for local drama series, that's for sure. i haven't been watching tv for quite a while as well. :p

    December 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM
  20. Bengbeng said...

    i never expected to hear u play. a pleasure indeed. a pleasure indeed. btw this is the first time i heard this song

    December 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM
  21. Anonymous

    meow. thank u for visiting my blog. yes nutang's comment box is very tricky because u just need to fill in the first four digit.

    yes consumer is always right and i have friends who just tell me to clam up because they r embarass when they r with me.

    the book i'm reading is about how the strong neo-conservatives of pro-israel plot the war against iraq and the intricacy of theie relationship in the bush and reagan administration.

    December 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM
  22. Anonymous

    wow u played the song?? excellent!

    December 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM
  23. foongpc said...

    lisa, thanks! I actually learnt music since small, so it's not that difficult for me to play by ear and write out the music notes. It'll be better if I'm able to compose my own music! : )

    levian, I really hope someone who has the original score will contact me : )

    bengbeng, thanks! I'm glad you like it. If you like, I can play more often and post it in my blog in future : )

    December 11, 2008 at 6:48 PM
  24. foongpc said...

    renaye, yeah, finally got to comment on your blog! I think I must have entered more than 4 digits everytime! LOL

    xin, thanks! Maybe I'll play more songs in future : )

    December 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM
  25. Anonymous

    Wow, you are talented Foong! What's your profession? Maybe you can post a music clip of you playing the piano. :o)

    December 11, 2008 at 7:02 PM
  26. foongpc said...

    babette, thanks. Maybe....: )

    December 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM
  27. Mariuca said...

    Hey Foong, it's another wet evening for us here in PJ eh? Dropping my EC for the day. :)

    December 11, 2008 at 7:52 PM
  28. Mariuca said...

    I love the fact that u play the piano by ear, just like my hubby. Maybe you'll play something for us here one day YAY! :):):)

    December 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM
  29. foongpc said...

    mariuca, yes raining again, but I love it! (as long as I'm not outdoors) Haha! Oh, your hubby play piano by ear too? Cool! I played a song here - it's a Chinese song. Did you listen to it? Maybe will play other songs next time! : )

    December 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM
  30. Bengbeng said...

    yes, please play more songs in the future.

    December 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM
  31. Mariuca said...

    Ohhhhh I didn't see the player just now, wait let me listen now!! ;)

    December 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM
  32. Mariuca said...

    Wah I made my hubby listen as well he he and he oso said wah so good!! So clever la you, I love it! Can make request or not? LOL! :):):)

    December 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM
  33. foongpc said...

    bengbeng, sure no problem : )

    mariuca, thanks! Yes you can make request, but not too difficult song lah! : )

    December 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM
  34. eiling lim said...

    nice song. If only i could write those notes... Lol...

    December 11, 2008 at 11:52 PM
  35. Faisal Admar said...

    can tell ma :P
    but last time got one good drama too.
    please click here.

    it was such a sad drama.
    luckily no one at home followed this drama so that i was freely cry at anytime i want haha!

    December 11, 2008 at 11:58 PM
  36. acura said...

    My dad is a definite fan of the series. The set and costumes look quite authentic, must have cost a bomb for a local production. And my dad like to pointed out to us where use to be the location of BB Park. He frequented the place when young, the series must have brought back alot of nostalgia

    December 12, 2008 at 4:18 AM
  37. foongpc said...

    eiling, if you have learnt theory of music, it won't be too difficult : )

    faisal admar, oh, I've seen this drama! Yes, it's a nice show! Funny at times, and touching too : )

    acura, oh your dad must have really enjoyed the show with its nostalgic feel of the olden days. I guess maybe that's why this show is so popular - it brings back memories of yesteryears : )

    December 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM
  38. Anonymous

    Nicely played! Mate, you have golden fingers!

    December 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM
  39. foongpc said...

    jam, thanks for the compliments! : )

    December 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM
  40. Anonymous

    Hi Foong,

    Well done. =)
    I'm impressed.

    Looks like you have quite a firm music background.You can scribble scores out just like that from what you play by ear.

    What grade are you at now?

    Oh I want to learn how to play piano...

    Cheers,
    Low Han Yew
    www.lowhanyew.com

    December 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM
  41. foongpc said...

    low han yew, thanks! I've completed up to Diploma level : )

    December 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM
  42. Tekkaus said...

    Damm! What are you? A mozart? Ha =) I don't even know how to play a piano. Besides...I don't know any musical instruments. *sob* So lousy!

    I watched the series too. IMHO, lately Malaysian movies are really good ler! =)

    December 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM
  43. foongpc said...

    tekkaus, no I am definitely not a child prodigy like Mozart. In a way, it's good also cos somehow those child prodigies have the habit of dying early, like in their 30's. LOL.

    The show is pretty good, yes? I agree some Malaysian made shows are not bad. Improvements are always good! : )

    December 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM
  44. Eve said...

    hi, do u teach piano ?

    January 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM
  45. Merryn said...

    Was here to check out Cheryl :) NOW I know.. thanx for sharing foong :)

    March 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM
  46. Anonymous

    I would love to know the words to the songs on this program in chinese (so I can translate it) and pinyin. Does anyone know where I can find this? Thanks,

    February 5, 2019 at 9:28 AM