Do You Have Skeletons In Your Closet?

Posted by : foongpc | Wednesday, December 3, 2008 | Published in

ADVERTISEMENT


On Monday, I celebrated my birthday by going on a shopping spree at MPH bookstore in 1Utama. That's because as a member of the MPH Readers' Circle (MRC), I am entitled to a 15% discount on my birthday.

As I love books, this was a great time to get all my favourite books, although I would reserve the more expensive books for the next MPH Members Sale which members usually get to enjoy discounts of up to 25%.

So here are the books I bought.



As you can see, I love both fiction and non-fiction books, although non-fiction books make up a large part of what I usually read. Oh, I just can't wait to read them! Problem is, I don't know which book to start reading first! Life is tough, isn't it?

While browsing through the books in MPH, I saw this '50+1 Malaysia' book by fellow blogger QuaChee on the shelf among other books promoting Malaysia as a tourist destination. It's a great book so if you do not have a copy, do get one. I've even written a review if you care to read.



Later in the night, I met up with a friend at Old Taste Ipoh White Coffee in SS2 for some chit chat. Old Taste sounds too much like Old Town White Coffee, don't you think? Is that unabashed case of plagiarism or what? Well maybe to Old Town White Coffee, it is a form of flattery.

Anyway, this friend of mine did not know it's my birthday, and so when I told her she said we must get a cake to celebrate. Alas, Old Taste does not sell cakes. Since it's already past 11pm, cake shops nearby like Secret Recipe were already closed. So we decided to stay put at Old Taste and ordered the next best thing - bread with butter and kaya. Haha!



Oops! Totally forgot to make my birthday wish before eating the bread! Well, never mind! It's not a birthday cake anyway.

This must be my very first birthday celebrated with bread, butter and kaya! There were no candles available, otherwise I would have placed them on the bread! Oh, by the way, if you like to make your own kaya, here's the recipe for homemade kaya.

My friend and I talked till past midnight. We chatted on many topics. I really enjoyed talking to her. Then she dropped a bombshell. I was shocked! Utterly shocked! She revealed her past which she had never told anyone before except her own sister.

I wondered why she felt it appropriate to tell me about the skeletons in her closet. Maybe she trusted me? Anyway, she made me promise not to tell anyone about her secret past. Believe it or not, we chit chatted till 3 in the morning! Of course, Old Taste closed at 1 am, so we walked over to the Sri Murni mamak shop nearby to continue our chit chat.

As I learnt about the real person behind my friend, I realised we can never really know a person from the outside. The saying - never judge a book by its cover - had never sounded so true to me at that very moment. There are secrets that we do not want others to know, and some may even guard these secrets with their lives.

How about you? Do you have any skeletons in your closet?

(38) Comments

  1. Anonymous

    Bday celebration with toasted bread...cool :)

    We all do...just that some of us have more than others. And for some, it has been dealt with but for some..it's still in the closet!

    What you see on the outside is not what's inside. I have also observed something about others and myself. The ones who appear soft on the outside are normally tougher within and vice versa.

    December 3, 2008 at 8:50 AM
  2. eiling lim said...

    Haha... celebrating with bread and kaya is a first I heard so far! Very inovative and economical. I should do it for other ppl's birthday next time.

    December 3, 2008 at 9:10 AM
  3. Anonymous

    Wow, you really love books. :-)

    December 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM
  4. khengsiong said...

    Old Taste White Coffee? Imitation is what Chinese are good at...

    December 3, 2008 at 9:59 AM
  5. TZ said...

    Dude, I found that sometime it's good to have a close friends that you could talk anything and they will keep it themselves :-)

    Skeletons in my closet? errr... nope! I have all kinds of things, what would you like to have? a cute guy or a pretty lady? hahaha...

    errrr.... dude dating eh!

    December 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM
  6. Anonymous

    For somebody so young, ur birthday doesn't sound very interesting or exciting - not much better than mine! Hahahahahaha!!!

    December 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM
  7. day-dreamer said...

    Skeleton?!?! =/

    December 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM
  8. lina said...

    hahaha, unique celebration with bread and kaya. :)

    Skeletons? I have plenty. Only Zaini knows about it, that's why I had to marry him. LOL

    That's a lot of books. Can borrow ah? :D

    December 3, 2008 at 1:29 PM
  9. HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

    Happy Birthday and you know i think we would be great friends if we lived closer as your posts make me laugh and smile!!! Bread and butter! I think we all have skeletons in our closets and I have deadbolts on my closet door for fear of the skeletons getting out. It is all part of life, learning and loving. Great post.

    December 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM
  10. creating my life said...

    I see u have bought 'home with god', by neale walsch and 'the new earth' by eckhart tolle. hope u will review them here.

    December 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM
  11. Pete said...

    That's a lot of books to read. The one by Joey Yap should be interesting!

    December 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM
  12. Pike-chan said...

    happy belated birthday to ya....

    and the Old Taste at ss2 is not bad, been there a couple of times.

    December 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM
  13. foongpc said...

    my bug life, yes I also noticed the same thing - people who appear soft on the outside are tough on the inside and vice versa. That's what I discovered about my friend too - she's soft on the outside, and I never would have guessed she's really tough inside.

    eiling, haha! It sure is economical! But not sure if others would accept bread for birthday! : )

    gallivanter, yes I do! I like to read not only books but blogs too! : )

    December 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM
  14. foongpc said...

    khengsiong, yes we Chinese are pretty good at not only imitating but improve on what we imitated! : )

    tz, yes it's great to have close friends who will keep your secret to themselves. Err.. cute guy or pretty lady? I'm not sure about that! LOL

    suituapui, well that's because I actually don't celebrate birthdays! : )

    December 4, 2008 at 1:10 AM
  15. foongpc said...

    day-dreamer, yes skeletons! : )

    lina, yes birthday bread will be the next big thing, no more birthday cake. Haha! Oh, no wonder you have to marry your husband - he knows too much about the skeletons in your closet! LOL. Sure, once I finish reading them, you can borrow : )

    health nut wannabee mom, haha! You have deadbolts on your closet door to prevent the skeletons from getting out? That's funny! Glad that my posts make you smile : )

    December 4, 2008 at 1:14 AM
  16. foongpc said...

    creating my life, I will try to do a review once I finished reading those two books! : )

    pete, yeah, I browsed through the book a little and like the photos in it, so end up buying it. Furthermore, I want to know what Joey Yap has to say about yin feng shui : )

    pikey, thanks! I guess the ambience is great but the food is just OK only : )

    December 4, 2008 at 1:21 AM
  17. Anonymous

    I'm intrigued by 'Kaya' I have to check out that link. I don't have skeletons in my closet but I do have some stuff that I only shared with one of my closest friend.

    December 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM
  18. acura said...

    Happy Belated Birthday Foong!

    Nice collection of books there...I tend to prefer non fiction as well.

    That's blatant plagiarism. But the toast bread with kaya substitute for a birthday cake is definitely unique. Remember to put some candles on it next year.

    Well, I do not feel comfortable sharing secrets with others. Skeletons should be kept in the closet with the keys thrown away.

    December 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM
  19. Monica said...

    Of course I do have skeletons in my closet; we all do. :-D

    wow! so many books you bought!

    December 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM
  20. Unknown said...

    skeletons in the closet.. im sure everyone has them. i somehow realise that this world is a stage. and everyone is in a way acting (the call it wayang!) :)

    oh btw, thanks for capturing that photo of my books - till now ive yet to go to mph to check it out :)

    December 4, 2008 at 6:33 AM
  21. Unknown said...

    oh dear oh dear..i am late in wishing u a happy birthday..never mind. with thick skin on my face, i wish u any way. happy birthday. i had forgotten abt butter n kaya combination oledi. i will go n buy some n serve it to Benghui. i loved it when i was young

    December 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM
  22. Angie Tan said...

    I have a tonne of books to read. Some of them are still in their plastic wrappers!!

    Anyway, most of us will have some dark secrets or skeletons in our closets. For your friend to open up to you means that you're trustworthy to her.

    :-)

    December 4, 2008 at 9:34 AM
  23. foongpc said...

    babette, good now you can make your own kaya and enjoy it with bread and butter! : )

    acura, thanks! Haha! Not sure if I'll celebrate my next birthday with bread and butter and kaya, but if I decided to do so in advance, I will surely get ready some candles! : ) You are quite right about the skeletons in the closet - they should be kept in the closet with the keys thrown away. Only make sure no one accidentally picks up the key! : )

    monica, yeah, a lot of books. I would have bought more if the discounts were higher : )

    December 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM
  24. foongpc said...

    quachee, you are so right about this world being a stage. Everyone is acting - everyone is in fact, an actor. Wow! So busy until no time to check out your own books in MPH. Well, busy is a good thing - means you are working on something good and money coming in! : )

    sibu, is that you bengbeng? How come under a different name today? I only know it's you because you mentioned benghui. Yeah, go get the bread with butter and kaya - it's my favourite comfort food! : )

    angie tan, wow! So many books to read until some still in plastic wrappers! Pass some to me to read first lah! LOL! Yes, I guess my friend trust me a lot, otherwise she would not tell me her secrets.

    December 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM
  25. eastcoastlife said...

    Happy Birthday!
    Birthday kaya bread! No candles?

    I have a few skeletons myself but it would be hard to find them. I'm smart not to put them in closets. haha....

    December 5, 2008 at 1:36 AM
  26. Anonymous

    Happy belated birthday, mate! Hope my wishes never come too late. Anyway, you celebrated with a girl till 3am in the morning! What can I say, she must be a special one!

    December 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM
  27. Mariuca said...

    Alakazam!

    Hola Foong! You’re invited to join us on a BEARY-special meme, have fun! :)

    December 6, 2008 at 2:00 AM
  28. Mariuca said...

    Oh no I'm no longer on ur TC list! ;)

    December 6, 2008 at 5:57 AM
  29. Mariuca said...

    Nice birthday treat for yourself Foong! I like Popular Book Store as well.. :)

    December 6, 2008 at 5:58 AM
  30. molly said...

    That is good yr friend can get the secret out of her mind. I am just not willing to tell any one about my secret or anything personal. I dont trust any one so far. Yet to find someone like myself who keep friends' secrets. But it is a burden to listen and disgest others secret.?? I have to stop bottling up.

    December 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM
  31. Faisal Admar said...

    Yes Foong. I have skeleton in my closet which I keep it for myself and I do not think anyone should know. Lately, even the pressure and stress I'm facing will just put them in my closet. I don't mind if I have to buy a new closet to put more skeletons.

    Sometimes life is not easy. I agree.

    December 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM
  32. foongpc said...

    eastcoastlife, haha! No candles cos its a last minute thing. That's smart of you - Not putting your skeletons in the closet! I wonder where you put them? : )

    jam, thanks! No, not special one, just a good friend : )

    mariuca, oh no! Not another meme! OK, will check it out! : ) Just drop by and comment more - then you'll be on my top commentators list again : )

    December 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM
  33. foongpc said...

    molly, it's good to have a friend whom you can trust and able to keep your secrets. Yes, agree not easy to find a friend like that : )

    faisal, you sound as if you have a lot of problems! Do you really need an extra closet? LOL! Take it easy, friend : )

    December 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM
  34. Anonymous

    Heyhey :)
    You should start reading A New Earth first!
    I haven't gotten around to do it myself, but since Oprah recommended The Secret (that I already knew about before her) and now A New Earth then I guess it is a good book!

    Remember to review it here!! :)

    December 7, 2008 at 5:35 PM
  35. foongpc said...

    leo, looks like we both have the same taste in books! Cool! OK, will read A New Earth first, and review it : )

    December 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM
  36. Tekkaus said...

    War...so many books you bought. You really love books huh. I love reading too but I hardly ditch out that much money to buy so many books at once. Toasted bread? Hmm...got kaya? =)

    December 10, 2008 at 3:58 AM
  37. foongpc said...

    tekkaus, yeah I love books! If you don't want to ditch out money to buy books, you can always rent or maybe, just read the whole book in the bookshop itself! Haha!

    Yes, toasted bread with butter and kaya - my favourite food! Yummy! No regrets having it instead of a birthday cake! : )

    December 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM
  38. Caroline said...

    Totally agree with u, never judge fro the outside. :)

    March 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM