How Grateful Are You?

Posted by : foongpc | Friday, August 29, 2008 | Published in

ADVERTISEMENT


How many times do you pray to God to ask for something? If you are a religious person, you may be doing this often. If you are not, you probably did it once or twice during those desperate times when you wanted something so badly.

I don’t claim to be a very religious person, or an expert in religion.

But I was reading through this excellent and deeply spiritual (but non-religious) book called “Conversations With God” by Neale Donald Walsch for the second time recently. And it simply inspired me to write this post today.

In the book, Neale was questioning God whether prayer works. Whether God will grant him what he asks for. Here’s God’s reply to him.

“You will not have what you ask, nor can you have anything you want. This is because your very request is a statement of lack, and your saying you want a thing only works to produce the precise experience – wanting – in your reality.

The correct prayer is therefore never a prayer of supplication but a prayer of gratitude.
When you thank God in advance for which you choose to experience in your reality, you in effect, acknowledge that it is there …. in effect. Thankfulness is thus the most powerful statement to God; an affirmation that even before you asked, I have answered.

Therefore, never supplicate. Appreciate.”

Let’s reflect on this for a moment. Every time you want to create something or want to have something, are you always hoping or wishing for it? Do you pray and hope it’ll come to you? Or do you feel grateful that it’s already on its way to you?

When you pray for something badly, you will very likely experience the wanting, and not what you want. But if you are grateful because you trust that you will receive what you want, then you will very likely get it.

So here’s how you can shift the energy from wanting to the feeling of already having it and feeling grateful.

Step 1 – Write down what you want eg. increase income, better health, better relationships etc.

Step 2 – Write down how you feel about what you want.
Impatient? Frustrated? Disappointed? Or grateful?

Step 3 – If you feel anything other than grateful, choose this very moment to feel completely grateful and trust that what you want is on its way to you. Say “Thank you” at least 3 times to emphasize your feelings of gratefulness and know that what you want is already being materialized.

Step 4 – Erase all doubts and forget about this exercise. Just let go and allow the Universe to bring it to you.

Some people may ask, how can we practise gratefulness in times of trouble when we don’t feel like feeling grateful? Read this Trusting Life article for the inspiration.

Do you know that feeling grateful about what you have can actually attract more good things to you? It's the Law Of Attraction that can never fail you. When you are focused on being grateful for the good things in your life, the Universe will somehow bring more of those good things to you!

So let’s be grateful and thankful everyday, shall we?

(14) Comments

  1. Anonymous

    I for one is a believer of the law of attraction.
    A friend recommended this book to me recently, must really go get it. :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    August 29, 2008 at 10:05 AM
  2. foongpc said...

    Yes, you must read this book - it's one of my favourite books! I could not put it down. The dialogues between Neale and God were nothing short of enlightening!

    August 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM
  3. HappySurfer said...

    Read also "The Secret". Some people say the theory is nonsense but I believe there is truth in it. Watch the video too for reinforcement. The book is more detail.

    Foong, thanks for the reminder about gratitude.

    August 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM
  4. HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

    I have been doing this all wrong I think. I like this and will give it a try. Very interesting and thought provoking post. Glad I stopped by.

    August 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM
  5. Tekkaus said...

    I think I should get one too. Overally I am grateful with my life...but nothing in this world is perfect. At times I really look up and ask God why? But in the end of the day I realised that everything happened for a reason. And God has gave the best to us. It's just that we need to feel it and appreciate it.

    -->Happy Surfer: I've read a little the chinese version of the secret. It'svery enlighting! Iwill get the english one.

    -->FongPC: I like this post you wrote and I've submitted it to digg.

    http://digg.com/people/How_Grateful_Are_You

    August 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM
  6. aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

    Thank you so much for this post. I'm also a believer in the law of attraction, but lately I've had my head in the sand.

    Thanks for helping me put my thinking back in order. Yours is one of the first blogs I've read this morning, and the first thing I'm grateful for today.

    Cheers~

    Annie

    A Nice Place In The Sun

    August 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM
  7. Anonymous

    Always be grateful and give thanks to God for every little blessing...for the rain, the sun...the fresh air, peace in the country, everything! For one thing, it will improve your state of mind and improve the quality of your life. Most people will just complain, complain, complain...criticise, criticise. criticies... Wht kind of life do you think they have? Such negative vibes will eat into their lives and affect not only they themselves but their families, their friends...everybody around them!

    August 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM
  8. Monica said...

    YES! let's be grateful and thankful everyday!! ;-)
    btw, I have a tag for you here.
    Enjoy your weekend Foong...

    August 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM
  9. Bengbeng said...

    i hesitate to trouble God or anybody for that matter.

    August 30, 2008 at 4:53 AM
  10. foongpc said...

    happysurfer, read The Secret too but it does not have that much impact on me as this book Conversations With God. Probably because I already knew the secret! : )

    health nut wannabee mom, glad that you find it helpful! : )

    tekkaus, you are right. Everything happened for a reason - as they say, there are no coincidences. Thanks for submitting my post to Digg! : )

    August 30, 2008 at 9:36 AM
  11. foongpc said...

    ann, thanks for dropping by! I'm glad my post made a positive difference to you! : )

    suituapui, can't agree with you more. People always focus on the negatives, and forget about all the little blessings in life.

    monica, will have a look at the tag. Thanks!

    bengbeng, it's not so much as troubling God, for God already said "even before you asked, I have answered".

    August 30, 2008 at 9:50 AM
  12. JL said...

    Yes, very good. Thank you so much for the share. I learned something :D

    February 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM
  13. foongpc said...

    Hi JL, glad you learnt something : )

    February 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM
  14. Peter

    Here, I do not actually consider this will have success.
    mattress stores atlanta | nissan dealerships in atlanta | stainless steel chains for men

    November 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM