My Top 5 Horror Movies

Posted by : foongpc | Sunday, August 24, 2008 | Published in

ADVERTISEMENT


I love horror movies! Do you?

When I mention horror movies, I’m referring to movies about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, exorcism and whatever that is related to the other worldly stuffs. And what better time to talk about horror movies during this Hungry Ghost Festival which is still ongoing till the end of the month.

However, I am quite disappointed with horror movies that are being churned out nowadays. They are either poor imitations of the good ones or they are so lacking in the horror element I actually yawned watching them! In fact, I have stopped going to the cinemas to watch horror movies nowadays because I think I’ll just be wasting my money!

I also cannot understand people who go watch horror movies in cinema and they cover their eyes during those scary scenes. I have a friend who is like that. She covers her eyes every time she thinks a ghost is going to appear. And I’m like... excuse me, this movie is not free, you know? Are you going to waste your RM10 ticket to cover your eyes? Me? I’ve paid for my ticket and I better get to see all the horror stuffs with my two eyes wide open!

Anyway, here’s my top 5 horror movies of all time.

Warning: If you have not seen any of these 5 movies before and you are planning to watch them, please don’t read any further as spoilers abound.


Some scenes from "The Exorcist"

The Exorcist is the first horror movie that really gave me the shivers. I was quite small when I first saw it and as you can imagine, I had sleepless nights after watching it. Linda Blair was so realistic in her portrayal as the girl possessed by a demonic spirit she really deserved the Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The way she threw profanities, spewed vomits and rolled her head 360 degrees had audiences in shock. In fact, I heard a few cinemagoers actually fainted during those scenes!

And it was much later in my adult life that I learnt that everything in that movie was done without any special effects! Certainly beat all those horror movies laden with special effects nowadays!

This movie had such a profound impact on me I had always used it to rate other horror movies. I had to admit though, when I watched The Exorcist a second time in later years, I found the first half of the movie quite boring, although the second half still gave me the shivers.

The creepy elevator scene from "The Eye"

The Eye (original Hong Kong version, not the USA remake) is to me, the scariest movie and the most entertaining! This is the kind of horror movie I like – good storyline, good acting, and have all the horror elements I want from a movie of this kind.

And if you saw this in the cinema, you would have got a bonus you cannot find in the DVD releases – a female ghost flashed on the screen before the actual film started. It was a shock tactic and it scared me to hell!

The scenes of the ghost in the creepy elevator, the old lady that appeared out of nowhere in the hospital, the female ghost that visited the restaurant and licked those meat with her long tongue, the female ghost in the calligraphy room that attacked Mun, the lead character – all these scenes are truly scary and classic!

This movie also won Angelica Lee Sin-Je, the leading actress who happens to be a Malaysian, a best actress award at the 2002 Golden Horse Film Festival and again at the 2003 Hong Kong Film Awards.

Nowadays if my friends were to ask me to watch a horror movie, my first question will be - is it better than The Eye or at least as good? If not, forget it!

Disturbing scenes from "The Ring"

The Ring (or Ringu in Japanese) is another great horror movie. Not only was it scary and spooky, it was thoroughly disturbing. In fact, this movie, released in 1998 was the highest grossing horror film in Japan and considered the most frightening.

I remember watching this on DVD and it certainly freaked me out. I found the video scenes watched by the victims highly disturbing. The ending where the ghost of the vengeful child came out of the TV screen was such a shock and totally unexpected I’m rating it a true classic scene in horror movies!

Although the USA remake in 2002 did a pretty good job, I still think the original Japanese version is the best.

"The Sixth Sense" Trailer

The Sixth Sense did a great job at giving me the most surprising ending for a horror movie. I did not see it coming, none at all! Who would have thought the leading character played by Bruce Willis is a ghost?

I won’t say it’s the scariest movie – certainly not as scary as The Eye (at least to me) but it’s such a clever film I totally enjoyed it.

This movie immortalized the line “I See Dead People” spoken in the movie by Haley Joel Osment who incidentally was nominated the Academy Award for Best Actor In A Supporting Role in 1999.

A scary scene from "Shutter"

Shutter is a 2004 Thai horror movie that claimed to be more scary than Ju On (The Grudge) and The Ring. The Grudge? Yes definitely. The Ring? Maybe. But certainly not as disturbing.

What attracted me to the show was the claim the producers made about the photos and images they used were of actual ghosts. I also like the idea that you can capture ghostly images with your camera, so to all bloggers who like to take pictures, beware!

There were lots of scary scenes, but one very humorous scene that stuck in my mind was the toilet scene where the lead character Tun, played by Ananda Everingham thought it was a ghost in the toilet next to him when it was just a transvestite or a ladyboy as they are called in Thailand. Very funny that!

The ending was another surprising shock when it was revealed the reason why Tun weighed heavier than usual – the ghost was sitting on his shoulders all the time! Now that freaked me out big time!


There were a few more horror movies that I enjoyed but did not make it to my Top 5, although they are worth a mention. They are The Omen, The Blair Witch Project, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose and Inner Senses.

I also like A Nightmare On Elm Street (Parts 1 and 3 only) and Child's Play although both are more like slasher movies than about ghosts.

And then, there are some successful horror movies that I don’t think deserve it. These are Ju On (the original Japanese later remade as The Grudge for USA version) and Dark Water (both Japanese and USA version), both of which are a waste of my time and do not scare me at all!

I’ll probably talk about them in my future posts, but in the meantime, do tell me what is your top 5 horror movies.

(29) Comments

  1. Olive Poppy said...

    Okay, you're not gonna like me then. I'm one of those girls who cover their eyes throughout the whole movie. But that's only because most of the time, I'm forced to watch them!

    I did, however, watched Exorcist in full. Not once, but twice. And I still think that it's the eeriest movie ever!

    I really like Sixth Sense though. It was one of the very few movies that I didn't see the ending coming. It wasn't really that scary, but maybe that's because I thought Haley Joel Osmond was super cute and talented at such young age. And how can one not love Bruce Willis!

    August 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM
  2. Anonymous

    I only like touching, meaningful human dramas.....

    August 25, 2008 at 7:41 AM
  3. HappySurfer said...

    Not bad, I scored 2 out of 5, though I'm not one for horror movies. LOL! I have watched The Exorcist and The Sixth Sense, the latter was not that scary. :p The Exorcist was revoltingly horrible, alright.

    I literally get nightmares of being chased after watching a horror movie. That's why I stay away. My favs are romantic comedies.

    August 25, 2008 at 11:11 AM
  4. StephenLim said...

    hi! yeah, i like those movies u mentioned too! :D

    August 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM
  5. Anonymous

    So, I had watched most of your top 5 horror movies. Among all, I like "shutter" the most. To me, Japanese or Korean horror movies are outdated already. Now, Thai is the best. BTW, I had transferred my blog to this new domain, http://lifeislikethat.com. Please add the new link to your blogroll if had added me previously. My new feed is http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifeislikethat/AHNd. Thanks.

    August 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM
  6. Anonymous

    My favorite horror movies will the Hong Kong 80's Vampire movies. Not totally horror but it contains some sense of humor. So i like those movies very much.

    August 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM
  7. Coffee Lover Kid said...

    *closed eyes...* i am big no no horror/ghost movie... =)

    August 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM
  8. Bengbeng said...

    i love horror movies. i psyche myself to b scared before the show even starts. but werewolf n dracula leave me 'untouched'

    August 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM
  9. Falcon said...

    I takut of horror movies... *ashamed*

    August 25, 2008 at 3:51 PM
  10. Anonymous

    Horror movies? Too many nightmares for me.

    August 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM
  11. Anonymous

    I do not like horror movie.. I cannot sleep at night.

    August 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM
  12. synical said...

    Only one that I saw (not on your list) was The Blair Witch Project, which left me confused like anything.

    August 25, 2008 at 9:44 PM
  13. acura said...

    I remember watching the exorcist alone past midnight. It was terrifying. By far the scariest film of them all.

    But have to agree with you. The horror movies nowadays are so boring. They are bleak, dark & depressing. Makes me wanna sleep really.

    August 26, 2008 at 2:25 AM
  14. Tekkaus said...

    I love Scary movies too...well well! I think I have at least 3 similar to yours.

    1-Alone
    2-Shutter
    3-The Ring
    4-The Exorcist
    5-The shining

    Horror flicks rules. Ha =)

    August 26, 2008 at 3:25 AM
  15. foongpc said...

    missmall, you are forced to watch horror movies? That must be traumatic for you! lol. Yes, agree that Exorcist is the eeriest movie ever.

    suituapui, looks like you are not a horror movie fan. I like touching, meaningful human dramas too : )

    happysurfer, yes the Exorcist was revoltingly horrible. I notice lots of people, especially females, who don't like horror movies seem to enjoy romantic comedies.

    August 26, 2008 at 10:25 AM
  16. foongpc said...

    stephenlim, thanks for dropping by. Looks like we have the same taste in horror movies : )

    jam, I dislike most horror movies from Japan and Korea except for The Ring. Thai horror movies are the scariest at the moment but even then, after Shutter, not many left an impact on me.

    lamberry, I don't fancy those Hong Kong vampire movies which are not scary but are actually funny. I like only "very scary" horror movies - the scarier the better : )

    simple alex, so you are not one of those horror movie fans. Well, can't invite you to watch a horror movie then : )

    August 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM
  17. foongpc said...

    bengbeng, it's true that when you psyche yourself to be scared before the show starts, it adds to the enjoyment of the show! If I watch a horror movie DVD at home, I make sure there are no disturbances from family members - better still if watch it at night all alone : )
    Werewolf and dracula also do not scare me, except if its a Chinese vampire that must not act funny! : )

    falcon, yeah, you should be ashamed of yourself! (Just kidding) : )

    jacqueline, I don't know of any horror movies that give me nightmares, but I recalled after watching The Eye, I did not like being alone by myself for a few days after : )

    keeyit, like that better not watch. What is more important than a good night sleep? : )

    August 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM
  18. foongpc said...

    synical, The Blair Witch Project is a nice horror movie but no appearances of ghosts - all psychological.

    acura, The Exorcist really sets the standard for horror movies. I'm still hoping for a new movie that can top it. But if you like exorcism story plus good court drama, you should watch The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, which is based on a true story.

    tekkaus, I did not watch Alone - since it's from the same people who gave us Shutter, maybe should watch it. The Shining is also a good movie - forgot about this one!

    August 26, 2008 at 10:56 AM
  19. molly said...

    None of my family members like to watch horror movie with me. I'll be shouting or cover my ears and eyes. What to do, born timid. :(:(

    August 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM
  20. Anonymous

    Don't believe in scaring myself so better not watch.....

    August 27, 2008 at 12:12 AM
  21. foongpc said...

    molly & chat8blog, I guess not everyone likes to be scared shitless like me - it's just something I enjoy, but only in movies of course, not real life : )

    August 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM
  22. Anonymous

    "Shutter" is my all time favorite". Lots of unexpected scenes made me remember this movie very well.

    If "Shutter" is 10 out 10, "Alone" is probably 6 to 7.

    August 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM
  23. foongpc said...

    mun, Shutter is indeed a great horror movie!

    August 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM
  24. Sherry Go Sharing said...

    there are my favourite too. First thank you for coming by my blog :)

    August 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM
  25. Anonymous

    You should warn me not to come to your blog late at night, the sight of that little girl in exorcist scared the hell out of me! Love the movie though.

    August 28, 2008 at 1:01 AM
  26. foongpc said...

    sherry, do drop by more often! : )

    cc, how come you are scared of the little girl in The Exorcist but yet love the movie? Maybe you actually like being scared? : )

    August 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM
  27. levian said...

    i used to be such a Huge fan of horror flicks !! n i do mean extreme huge fan. until .. i watched six sense in the cinema. i guess i was too young to be mentally prepared for such "realistic" ghosts among us. i freeze n couldn't sleep for 2 weeks. gosh .. i didn't even wanna remember it.

    August 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM
  28. foongpc said...

    levian, really that bad? I didn't find Sixth Sense that scary actually.

    August 31, 2008 at 1:08 AM
  29. levian said...

    well, its difficult to explain to anyone particularly of how i felt that instant. it just is. :)

    September 1, 2008 at 7:51 PM